Tangoubukan instructors Martin Nobida and Saiyou Ohshima along with the San Francisco Dojo's Chad Goerzen captured first place in the Men's Team Shiai division at the 2016 US Naginata Federation National Championships this weekend in Torrance, California. Nobida also took first place in the Yudansha Men's Individual Shiai division. These results represent the first time in more than 10 years that the Northern California Naginata Federation captured first place in any yudansha-level event at a national championships.
Complete results for Tangoubukan members follow:
- Saiyou Ohshima, Chad Goerzen, Martin Nobida--1st Place Men's Team Shiai
- Martin Nobida--1st Place Yudansha Men's Individual Shiai
- Saiyou Ohshima--3d Place, Yudansha Individual Men's Shiai
- Michelle Young--3d Place, Dangai Individual Female Shiai
- Xinyuan Lai and Taylor Ott--3d Place, Dangai Engi
A number of Tangoubukan members also earned promotions at the kyu examinations that followed the tournament. The results of their tests follow:
- Xinyuan Lai--1 kyu
- Taylor Ott--2 kyu
- Karl Spargur--2 kyu
- Michelle Young--2 kyu
- Brian Goodrich-Camp--3 kyu
More photos from the event can be found on Flickr. Click here.